Table of Contents
Booting is the process of switching on a computer. Two types of booting are cold booting and warm booting. Six steps of the booting process are BIOS and Setup Program, The Power-On-Self-Test (POST), The Operating System Loads, System Configuration, System Utility Loads, and Users Authentication.
Types of Booting
Booting is the process of switching on the computer and starting the operating system. When a computer is switched on, The boot process loads the operating system into the main memory (RAM) installed inside it. Types of computer booting are Cold Booting And Warm Booting.
- Cold Boot: when the user switches on a computer after it has been powered off completely,
- Warm Boot: when the user restarts the computer.
Cold and Warm Booting are two different types of booting in computers. To know the differences between cold booting and warm booting, click Here.
- Network Topology & Its Types
- Types Of Plotters & Their Uses
- Different Types of Computer Ports
- Types of Computer Memory
- 5 Generations of Computer
Booting Process With Diagram
Here we represent the booting process of the computer with a diagram.
When the booting process takes place, it copies the kernel and important instructions of an operating system from hard disk to main memory (RAM). The kernel is the most important part of the operating system that manages memory and devices, maintains the computer clock, starts applications.
It assigns compute resources like devices, programs, data, and information also. The kernel also remains in memory permanently when the computer starts.
Steps In the Booting Process
Booting is the process of switching on the computer and starting the operating system. 6 steps in the booting process are BIOS and Setup Program, The Power-On-Self-Test (POST), The Operating System Loads, System Configuration, System Utility Loads, and Users Authentication.
- 1: BIOS and Setup Program
- 2: The Power-On-Self-Test (POST)
- 3: The Operating System (OS) Loads
- 4: System Configuration
- 5: System Utility Loads
- 6: Users Authentication
Booting Process Of Computer Step By Step
Here is the explanation of the booting process steps for more clarity.
Step 1: BIOS and Setup Program
- ROM (read-only memory): it is a permanent and unchanging memory also
- BIOS (basic input/output system ): the part of the system software that includes the instructions that the computer uses to accept input and output
- Load: to transfer from a storage device to memory. The ROM loads BIOS into the computer’s memory
- Setup program: a special program containing settings to control hardware. Furthermore, the program can only be accessed while the BIOS information is visible.
Step 2: The Power-On-Self-Test (POST)
- POST (Power-On Self-Test): a series of tests conducted on the computer’s main memory, input/output devices, disk drives, and the hard disk.
- BIOS conducts Power-On-Self-Test to check the input/ output system for operability.
- The computer will produce a beeping sound if any problem occurs. An error message will also appear on the monitor
Step 3: The Operating System (OS) Loads
BIOS searches for the operating system.
- Setting in CMOS: complementary metal oxide semiconductor determines where to look for the operating system.
- In this step, the operating system’s kernel is also loaded into the computer’s memory.
- The operating system takes control of the computer and begins loading system configuration information.
Step 4: System Configuration
- Registry: a database to store information about peripherals and software
- Peripheral: a device connected to a computer
- Drive: a utility program that makes peripheral devices function properly
- The operating system’s registry configures the system.
- In this step, drivers are also loaded into memory.
Step 5: System Utility Loads
- System utilities are loaded into memory.
- Volume control
- Antivirus software
- PC card unplugging utility
Step 6: Users Authentication
- Authentication or user login occurs
The above-mentioned steps play an important role in booting a computer. After all this process, the user interface starts, enabling user interaction with the computer and its programs also.
I hope, after reading this article, you will completely understand the boot process, boot process steps as well as steps in booting a computer. If you still have any queries, feel free to write in the comment section. don’t forget to share this informative article on your social media accounts.