The difference between Firewall and Proxy Server is that a Firewall is a software that prevents unauthorized access to or from a private network. While Proxy Server is a server that acts as a gateway or intermediary between any device and the rest of the Internet.
What is Firewall?
A firewall is a device that monitors traffic between different parts of a network or a group of different systems. It is used to protect and block the network from threats at preset levels.
A firewall is used not only to protect the computer from external threats but also to protect against internal threats. Only a good firewall should be able to handle both internal and external threats and can handle malicious software.
Do You Know The Difference Between:
What is Proxy Server?
The proxy server can secretly deliver the pocket or message to the target by hiding the source address and sending the target reply secretly to the source.
It sometimes uses a proxy server to bypass certain restrictions on the Internet. The proxy server can view the contents of the user’s package and filter the unauthorized content.
The proxy server can change the user’s IP address, so the Web server does not know where the user is. It can encrypt the data, so the information running in the transmission process cannot be read.
Difference Between Firewall and Proxy Server
A Firewall and Proxy Server are completely opposite to each other. The major difference is that:
A proxy server is a server whose function is to mediate between source and target. It uses the anonymous network id instead of the client’s real IP address so that the client’s real IP address cannot be revealed.
While Firewalls are tools used to prevent hacking, unauthorized access, and denial of service attacks on a network or personal computer. It works on the network layer of the OSI model and uses encryption to encrypt data before transmission.
The key differences between the Firewall and Proxy Server are as follows:
- The firewall can monitor and filter all incoming and outgoing traffic on a given LAN. Proxy server connects an external client to a server to communicate with each other.
- Firewall blocks unauthorized network connections. Proxy Serverfacilitates network connections.
- It filters data by monitoring the IP packets that are traversed. It filters client-side requests that are made to connect to the network.
- This is network and transport layer data. It operates on application layer data.
- A firewall exists as an interface between a public and private network. Proxy Server can exist with public networks on both sides.
- It is used to protect an internal network against attacks. It is used for anonymity and to circumvent restrictions.
- The overhead generated in the firewall is greater than that of a proxy server. The overhead generated in the proxy server is less than that of a firewall.
- A firewall works at the package level. Proxy Server operates at the application protocol level.
I hope you understand the difference between Firewall and Proxy Server. If you like this article plz share it with your friends and family. Share your thoughts in the comments so that we may improve our writings according to our lovely readers. Cheers!